Board of Directors
The Secular Coalition for America Board of Directors is democratically structured. Each Coalition member organization appoints one individual to serve as its representative Director, who casts one vote on any matter considered by the Board of Directors.
Coalition officers are elected by the member organizations. Nominations are taken from the Board of Directors and the wider nontheistic community. Current officers are:
David Niose, President. Niose is an attorney, activist, and author of Nonbeliever Nation: The Rise of Secular Americans. Before becoming SCA president in January 2013, Niose served two terms as president of the Washington-based American Humanist Association, an SCA member organization. Email David Niose.
Amanda Metskas, Vice President.
Patty Guzikowski, Secretary.
Ron Solomon, Treasurer. Solomon is a past president of the American Ethical Union (AEU) and currently serves as AEU treasurer.
Herb Silverman, President Emeritus. Silverman became South Carolina's most famous atheist activist in 1990 when he challenged the state's religious test for public office by entering its gubernatorial race. He is the Coalition's leading founder. E-mail Herb Silverman.
Woody Kaplan - civil liberties advocate and political activist
- Robert Boston - writer and spokesperson on the Religious Right and First Amendment issues
- Richard Dawkins, D.Sc., FRS - evolutionary biologist and popular science writer who holds the Charles Simonyi Chair in the Public Understanding of Science at Oxford University
- Daniel Dennett, D.Phil. - philosopher whose research intersects with cognitive science and evolutionary biology
- Rebecca Goldstein, Ph.D. - author and philosopher
- Sam Harris, Ph.D. - author, neuroscientist, and CEO of Project Reason
- Jeff Hawkins - entrepreneur and inventor
- Christopher Hitchens* - author, journalist and literary critic
- Wendy Kaminer - author and social critic on civil liberties, religion and popular culture
- Michael Lewis - entrepreneur, engineer and transparency advocate.
- Michael Newdow, M.D. - attorney, medical doctor and litigant in Elk Grove Unified School District v. Newdow which attempted to remove "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance
- Steven Pinker, Ph.D. - psychologist, writer and Humanist Laureate
- Salman Rushdie - novelist
- Ellery Schempp, Ph.D. - litigant in Abington School District v. Schempp, the 1963 Supreme Court ruling that public school-sponsored Bible readings were unconstitutional
- Herb Silverman - president emeritus
- Pete Stark - The first openly nontheistic member of the United States House of Representatives (1973 to 2013)
- Todd Stiefel - founder and president of the Stiefel Freethought Foundation.
- Julia Sweeney - actor best known for her androgynous character Pat on "Saturday Night Live" and her critically acclaimed one-woman monologue, "God Said, Ha!"