The Secular Coalition for America is seeking a Communications Manager who will communicate our mission to the general public and our supporters. The Communications Manager will help maintain the daily external communications of the Secular Coalition for America while also assisting staff with projects including writing and editing press releases, fundraising appeals, and updates to our supporters.
The ideal candidate for this role has a strong general advocacy background, superior presentation, writing, design and communication skills, and demonstrated experience managing digital channels and creating digital written and visual content. This position is based in Washington DC.
The Secular Coalition for America is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as practiced values in the workplace. We promote diversity of thought, culture and background and consider it critical to our mission to employ a staff that is representative of the diverse community we seek to serve.
Producing Original Content:
- The Communication Manager coordinates the production and distribution of produces a wide variety of original content and written materials including but not limited to: Blog posts, fundraising appeals, press releases, and updates to our supporters, donors, and constituents
- The distribution of this content through various mediums including our email marketing platform (Mailchimp), our website, and our social media channels
Social Media Management:
- Create and manage all published social content including images and written content for SCA’s social media accounts including: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, LinkedIn, and YouTube
- Identify and engage our target audience
- Research and monitor social media trends to identify relevant opportunities for increasing SCA’s visibility
- Follow and engage with key players and stakeholders in the topic areas in which SCA specializes in
- Develop a distinct, memorable voice for SCA online and position us as a leader in the space
- Create and maintain a regular tracking and reporting mechanism for progress on social channels
- Oversee advertising and fundraising campaigns on social channels
- Making effective use of news tracking platforms and rapidly responding to coverage of issues relevant to the Secular Coalition, pitching stories and building relationships with reporters and other communicators as a credible and reliable source of information
- Effectively communicate and coordinate with community members and coalition partners on projects and events
- Update and maintain SCA’s website. It is essential that our website is updated frequently to reflect the latest news about the Secular Coalition for America and our advocacy work
Position Requirements Skills
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, able to articulate complex concepts in a concise and compelling manner
- Demonstrated experience working with or within underserved populations
- 1-2+ years of work experience within marketing, communications, social media, or other relevant fields.
- Strong ability to work independently and manage your own portfolio of work
- You have a demonstrated interest and alignment with our mission for a strong secular government
- Strong copy editing and proofreading skills
- Familiar with, or able to learn, WordPress, MailChimp, Tweetdeck or Hootsuite (or an equivalent social media scheduling platform)
- Able to post content reacting to the news cycle, the Secular Coalition for America’s member organizations, current events, or relevant holidays or anniversaries
- Strong ability to build and maintain relationships, including with internal and external stakeholders
- You are creative and strategic
- Detail-oriented: You are highly detail oriented with strong organizational skills
- Permanently authorized to work in the US
- Experience with graphic design and video editing, including strong knowledge of Photoshop, Canva, and other design tools
- Experience with online fundraising campaigns
- Knowledge of and experience with Salesforce
- Successful track record of pitching stories to journalists
- Familiarity with issues concerning religion-government separation
Benefits (for full time exempt employees only)
- Salary: $50,000 – $55,000 /year
- Health, dental, and vision insurance (for full time exempt employees only)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible PTO
Interested? Here’s how to apply:
Submit a resume, a cover letter, along with one (1) writing sample that showcases your talents to [email protected]. Be prepared to share references and a portfolio of previous work examples relevant to the essential job duties (including graphic design), upon request. Incomplete applications with missing documentation will not be considered.
Please consider our mission statement when responding to this job opportunity:
- The mission of the Secular Coalition for American is to increase the visibility of and respect for nontheistic viewpoints in the United States, and to protect and strengthen the secular character of our government.
The Secular Coalition for America is an equal opportunity employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, people from underserved and under-represented communities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Thank you for considering what you might contribute to the mission of the Secular Coalition for America.