Secular Coalition for Virginia Monthly Conference Call
Secular Coalition for America - Virginia Chapter Conference Call
Call in number: 530-881-1400 Participant Code: 978895
Tuesday, October 2nd at 1pm ET
- Who is here and who is not here that needs to be?
- Agenda available at Virginia chapter page at secular.org
- Explanation of conference call style and recording
- No one is required to speak up, but there will be opportunities to do so.
- Thank you for joining us for the Secular Coalition for Virginia monthly conference call!
- The Secular Coalition for America is the only 501(c)(4) representing secular and nontheistic Americans.
- The Secular Coalition for America is working to make sure that we are heard on Capitol Hill. We fight in Washington DC against religious privileging on a federal level, yet some of the most egregious violations of separation of church and state are being promoted and passed at a state level.
- The Secular Coalition for America is forming state chapters across the country to bring together secular and nontheistic Americans in each state to lobby on secular issues.
State Government Update - November Elections
- U.S. Senate
- Jim Webb (D) NOT running for re-election
- Political reports list the race as a toss up between Tim Kaine (D) and George Allen (R), both former governors of Virginia.
- U.S. House
- All 11 Virginia seats in the House are up for election
- 8 of the 11 seats are held by the Republican Party
- Any issues or events happening in the Virginia area?
Chapter Development Status
- Executive Committee
- No set number of members or roles
- Flexible to availability and strengths of individuals who want to get involved
- Examples of Helpful Skills: leadership skills, familiarity with local groups, monitor legislation, conduct lobbying visits, location near captial, mobilize grassroots, IT or website knowledge, social networking familiarity, comfortable speaking with press
- Interested individuals: Bill Haines, Shelley Mountjoy, Paul Hoyt, Steve Brecker, Autumn Reinhardt Simpson, Deb Godden, Meghan Cloud
- Anyone one else interested? Email Kelly@secular.org
- Volunteer List
- Those who do not wish to be on the Executive Committee, but still want to play an active role and help out once there is work to be done, please email me Kelly@secular.org.
- Executive Committee
- Resources Status
- VA.secular.org still under construction
- Temporarily: Secular.org>States>Your State>Virginia
- Conference Calls
- Initial organizing calls - Focus on setting up the structure, identifying leadership, spreading the word about the calls and building momentum, outreac!
- After Official recognition - Educate and inform: track legislation, coordinate lobbying efforts and coordinate secular organizations.
- Agendas and Call replays available on the Virginia chapter page
- Looking into technologies to assist with online discussion
- Logo - viewable on Virginia chapter page and Facebook page
- Facebook Page - Secular Coalition for Virginia
- Future Resources
- Promotional resources- brochures, stickers, buttons, handouts
- Informational resources - Research, fact sheets and policy papers
- Trainings and Guides - media and lobby trainings and guides
- National Resources
- National Secular Calendar - secular.org homepage
- National Secular Update Weekly Conference Call - Thursdays at Noon 559-726-1300 Code 199568
- What the SCA is doing until the next call:
- Getting resources in place
- Researching technologies to assist in chapter coordination
- Identifying leadership and putting Executive Committee members in contact with each other
- What you can do:
Next Conference Call Date and Time
- ovember 6th at 1pm
- FIrst Tuesday of the month
- Same call in number and code
- Last call of the year
- Kelly Damerow
- Research and Advocacy Manager, Secular Coalition for America
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 202-299-1091 ext. 204