Secular Coalition for Illinois Monthly Conference Call
Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 15:00 - 15:30
Call In Details:
Phone Number: 530-881-1400 Participant Code: 978895
Secular Coalition for America - Illinois Chapter Conference Call
Call in number: 530-881-1400 Participant Code: 978895
Thursday, October 11th at 2pm CT
- Who is here and who is not here that needs to be?
- Agenda available at Illinois chapter page at secular.org
- Explanation of conference call style and recording
- No one is required to speak up, but there will be opportunities to do so.
- Thank you for joining us for the Secular Coalition for Illinois monthly conference call!
- The Secular Coalition for America is the only 501(c)(4) lobbying organization representing secular and nontheistic Americans.
- Based in Washington DC, we are working to make sure that you are heard on Capitol Hill, on the federal level, yet some of the most egregious violations of separation of church and state are being promoted and passed at a state level.
- The Secular Coalition for America is forming state chapters across the country to bring together secular and nontheistic Americans in each state to lobby on secular issues.
State Government Update - November Elections
- U.S. House
- Illinois's current 19 House representatives: 8 Democrats and 11 Republicans
- Illinois lost one seat after the 2010 census and will elect 18 representatives
- According to the New York Times race ratings in October 2012, six of the 18 districts are considered to be in play, possibly switching political affilation. Those are the 8th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, and 17th districts
- Illinois State Senate
- Democratic Party currently holds a 35-24 majority
- All 59 seats are up for election in November
- Illinois House of Representatives
- Democratic Party currently holds a 64-54 majority
- All 118 seats are up for election in November
- Springfield, MO
- November 9-11th
- Don't miss the Friday workshops by the Secular Coalition for America!
- Lobby training by Government Relations Manager Chris Lombardi
- Media training by Communications Manager Lauren Anderson Youngblood
- Any issues or events?
Chapter Development Status
- Executive Committee
- No set number of members or roles
- Flexible to availability and strengths of individuals who want to get involved
- Examples of Helpful Skills: leadership skills, familiarity with local groups, monitor legislation, conduct lobbying visits, mobilize grassroots, IT or website knowledge, social networking familiarity, comfortable speaking with press
- Interested individuals: John Wesser, Jessica Blumke, Janet Factor, Jason Robertson, Tim McElligott, Hemant Mehta
- If you would prefer your name not be publicly released, please let me know.
- Anyone one else interested? Email Kelly@secular.org
- Volunteer List
- Those who do not wish to be on the Executive Committee, but still want to play an active role and help out once there is work to be done, please email Kelly@secular.org
- Executive Committee
- Resources Status
- IL.secular.org still under construction
- Temporarily: Secular.org>States>Your State>Illinois
- Conference Calls
- Initial organizing calls - Focus on setting up the structure, identifying leadership, spreading the word about the calls and building momentum
- After Official recognition - Educate and inform: track legislation, coordinate lobbying efforts and coordinate secular organizations.
- Agendas and Call replays available on the Illinois chapter page
- Looking into technologies to assist with online discussion
- Send recommendations for communication/organizing technologies to Kelly@secular.org
- Will still have call in November
- Starting new system in 2013
- Logo - available soon
- Facebook Page – Secular Coalition for Illinois
- Future Resources
- Promotional resources- brochures, stickers, buttons, handouts
- Informational resources – Research, fact sheets and policy papers
- Trainings and Guides – media and lobby trainings and guides
- National Resources
- Powerpoints –available at secular.org/resources
- National Secular Calendar – secular.org homepage
- National Secular Update Weekly Conference Call - Thursdays at Noon 559-726-1300 Code 199568
- What the SCA is doing until the next call:
- Getting resources in place
- Researching technologies to assist in chapter coordination
- Identifying leadership and putting Executive Committee members in contact with each other
- What you can do:
- Email Kelly@secular.org if interested in leadership or volunteering
- Sign up on our website to receive info and updates
- Check out Illinois’s state chapters page for updates
- Like the Facebook page
- Spread the word about the next conference call!
Next Conference Call Date and Time
- November 8th at 2pm CT
- Second Thursday of the month
- Same call in number and code
- Kelly Damerow
- Research and Advocacy Manager, Secular Coalition for America
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 202-299-1091 ext. 204