Health and Safety
The health and safety of an individual should not be compromised by the religious beliefs of another person or group.
- Medical Professionals Denying Care Based on Personal Beliefs- A patient’s health is compromised and his right to control his body is taken away when a doctor or pharmacist can deny treatment based on personal beliefs, not professional opinions.
- Religious Employers Denying Healthcare Coverage Based on Personal Beliefs- An employer’s health is compromised and his right to control his body is taken away when his employer can deny adequate healthcare coverage based on personal beliefs.
- Religiously Based Child Abuse and Neglect- Children are put in harm’s way when the religious beliefs of an adult free them from legal obligations to protect the health and safety of a child.
- Faith healing
- Child care center exemptions
- Exceptions to vaccination requirements
- Child abuse reporting exemptions for clergy
- Religiously Based Health Care Policy- Government officials should rely on high quality research, not religious beliefs, when making health care policy decisions. (stem cells, women’s health care, substance abuse treatment)
- Stem cells
- Women’s healthcare
- Secular Substance abuse treatment