About State Chapters
Despite the fact that there are tens of millions of nontheistic Americans, we remain one of the most marginalized groups in the country. The Secular Coalition for America is working to make sure that we are heard on Capitol Hill. We fight in Washington DC against religious privileging on a federal level, yet some of the most egregious violations of separation of church and state are being promoted and passed at a state level. We need your help to see real change in state capitals all over the country.
The Secular Coalition for America is forming state chapters across the country. Our chapters will bring together secular Americans in each state to influence government officials, legislation, and regulations. A Secular Coalition for America state chapter is unlike any other nontheistic state organization—it brings together interested organizations and individuals for the exclusive purpose of lobbying government officials.
Original image courtesy of Shutterstock.
Where does your state stand? Click on image to enlarge.
Each chapter receives the benefits of being a part of the Secular Coalition for America:
- State Conference Calls - ten calls per year hosted by the Secular Coalition for America to coordinate interested organizations and individuals in the state on proposed legislation or regulations that require action. They are an opportunity to educate others, get informed, and coordinate lobbying strategy statewide.
- Use of the official Secular Coalition name and logo.
- Logistical support including website, email address and business cards for chapter leaders and brochures and other public relations materials.
- Trainings and guides in effective lobbying and media tactics.
- Access to our growing database of research, policy, and lobbying documents
- A state chapter network where chapters can connect with other states who fought legislation similar to what their state is facing.
These benefits will be available at no cost to the chapters. Providing these resources ensures dangerous state legislation will be fought through effective lobbying techniques without burdening volunteers with hours of re-inventing the wheel.
The first step to getting organized is the State Conference Call. We will host a State Conference Call with every state by the end of October! To participate, call (530) 881-1400 on the date and time scheduled for your state’s conference call and enter the participant code 978895. We will be announcing the specific dates and times for states shortly. The first call will be mostly informational, so don’t worry about speaking up. Feel free to call in just to listen. Find information about your state on your state's page; if it’s not listed it will be up very soon!
Sign up to receive emails about chapter formation in your state here!