Secular Coalition for Texas Monthly Conference Call
Secular Coalition for America - Texas Chapter Conference Call
Call in number: 530-881-1400 Participant Code: 978895
Tuesday, October 23 at 2pm CT
- Who is here and who is not here that needs to be?
- Agenda available at Texas chapter page at secular.org
- Explanation of conference call style and recording
- No one is required to speak up, but there will be opportunities to do so.
- Thank you for joining us for the Secular Coalition for Texas monthly conference call!
- The Secular Coalition for America is the only 501(c)(4) representing secular and nontheistic Americans.
- The Secular Coalition for America is working to make sure that we are heard on Capitol Hill. We fight in Washington DC against religious privileging on a federal level, yet some of the most egregious violations of separation of church and state are being promoted and passed at a state level.
- The Secular Coalition for America is forming state chapters across the country to bring together secular and nontheistic Americans in each state to lobby on secular issues.
State Government Update - November Elections
- U.S. Senate
- Incumbent Kay Bailey Hutchinson (R) is not running for re-election
- Political reports favor Ted Cruz (R) over Paul Sadler (D)
- U.S. House
- Texas gained 4 seats after the 2010 census
- All 36 Texas seats in the U.S. House are up for election
- 23 of the 32 seats are held by the Republican Party
- State Senate
- All 31 seats are up for election
- Republican Party holds a 19-12 majority, expected to hold
- State House of Representatives
- All 150 seats are up for election
- Republican Party holds an 100-48 majority, expected to hold
- Texas State Board of Education
- Texas Freethought Convention
- October 19 - 21st in Austin
- Speaker: Brian Walker, co-chair of the Secular Coalition for Texas!
- Any issues or events happening in Texas?
Chapter Development Status
- Executive Committee
|Position||First Name||Last Name|
|General EC member||Sam||Elliott|
|General EC member||Drew||Convery|
|General EC member||Olfa||Hamdi|
|General EC member||Michael||Van Strien|
|General EC member||Brian||Stacey|
|General EC member||Paul||Elliott|
|Media back up||Matt||Dillahunty|
|General EC member||Nick||Lee|
- Volunteer List
- Resources Status
- TX.secular.org still under construction
- Temporarily: Secular.org>States>Your State>Texas
- Conference Calls
- Initial organizing calls - Focus on setting up the structure, identifying leadership, spreading the word about the calls and building momentum
- After Official recognition - Educate and inform: track legislation, coordinate lobbying efforts and coordinate secular organizations.
- Agendas and Call replays available on the Texas chapter page
- Looking into technologies to assist with online discussion
- Logo - viewable on Texas chapter page and Facebook page
- Facebook Page – Secular Coalition for Texas
- Future Resources
- Promotional resources- brochures, stickers, buttons, handouts
- Informational resources – Research, fact sheets and policy papers
- Trainings and Guides – media and lobby trainings and guides
- National Resources
- Powerpoints –available at secular.org/resources
- National Secular Calendar – secular.org homepage
- National Secular Update Weekly Conference Call - Thursdays at Noon 559-726-1300 Code 199568
- What the SCA is doing until the next call:
- Getting resources in place
- Researching technologies to assist in chapter coordination
- What you can do:
Next Conference Call Date and Time
- November 27 at 2pm
- Fourth Tuesday of the month
- Same call in number and code
- Kelly Damerow
- Research and Advocacy Manager, Secular Coalition for America
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 202-299-1091 ext. 204