Secular Coalition for New Hampshire Monthly Conference Call
Monday, November 19, 2012 - 11:00 - 11:30
Call In Details:
530-881-1400 code: 978895
Secular Coalition for America - New Hampshire Chapter Conference Call
Call in number: 530-881-1400 Participant Code: 978895
Monday, November 19 at 11am ET
- Who is here and who is not here that needs to be?
- Agenda available at New Hampshire chapter page at secular.org
- Explanation of conference call style and recording
- No one is required to speak up, but there will be opportunities to do so.
- Thank you for joining us for the Secular Coalition for New Hampshire monthly conference call!
- The Secular Coalition for America is the only 501(c)(4) lobbying organization representing secular and nontheistic Americans.
- Based in Washington DC, we are working to make sure that you are heard on Capitol Hill, on the federal level, yet some of the most egregious violations of separation of church and state are being promoted and passed at a state level.
- The Secular Coalition for America is forming state chapters across the country to bring together secular and nontheistic Americans in each state to lobby on secular issues.
- Governor Maggie Hassan
- Democrat, former state senator
- General Court of New Hampshire
- In 2012, the General Court was in session from January 4 through June 27
- New Hampshire State Senate
- 24 senators serving 2 year terms
- Republican Party lost 6 seats, but maintained control with a 13-11 majority
- New Hampshire House of Representatives
- 400 representatives serving 2 year terms
- Republican Party held a 293-103 majority
- All 400 seats were up for election in November
- Possible majority change
- Prior to the 2010 elections, Democrats held a 216-174 advantage. Just a single election cycle later, Republicans controlled the House 298-102
- Still awaiting 2012 results
- U.S. House of Representatives
- New Hampshire's 2 seats in the U.S. house are up for election in November
- Both seats switched parties, with the Democratic candidates defeating the Republican incumbents
- Carol Shea-Porter defeated Frank Guinta
- Ann McLane Kuster defeated Charlie Bass
- Any other issues we should know?
Chapter Model Overview
- A Secular Coalition for America state chapter is unlike any other nontheistic state organization—it brings together interested organization and individuals for the exclusive purpose of lobbying.
- Leadership / Executive Committee
- No set number of members or roles
- Flexible to availability and strengths of individuals who want to get involved
- Examples of Helpful Skills: leadership skills, familiarity with local groups, monitor legislation, conduct lobbying visits, mobilize grassroots, IT or website knowledge, social networking familiarity, comfortable speaking with press
- Co-Chair Duties: Scheduling state coalition meetings as necessary, Building relationships with local organizations and keeping them informed; Scheduling and Coordinating trainings; Ensuring compliance with all SCA policies (listed in the chapter manual soon to be finished); Assisting with fundraising and ensuring donations are sent to the SCA; Contact person for SCA Research and Advocacy Manager; Upholding the respectful, diplomatic, and non-partisan approach of the Secular Coalition
- Communications Chair Duties: Official press releases; Letters to the Editor; Working with LD on action alerts; Coordinating messaging with SCA; Acting as spokesperson; Available for interviews or local speaking engagements; Draft action alerts with Leg. chair
- Tech Chair Duties: Website updates and blog posts; Social media; Answering email;
- Legislative/ Policy Chair Duties: Monitoring legislation for our issues; Gatherings research; Drafting action alerts with Comm. Chair; Tailoring SCA lobbying materials to be state specific
- Lobbying Chair Duties: Conducting lobbying visits; Building relationships with legislators; Up to date on state lobbying registration requirements; Familiar with the legislative process;
- Interested Individuals: Adam H. Bart C. Catha L. Chris G
- Interested? Email Kelly@Secular.org
- Volunteer List
- Those who do not wish to be on the Executive Committee, but still want to play an active role and help out once there is work to be done, please email me Kelly@secular.org.
- Sign up to receive action alerts to be part of a grassroots campaign when particular issues arise. Sign up online here.
- Secular Coalition’s Support for the Chapters
- Conference Calls
- Changing call schedule in 2013 to add evening and weekend calls
- Online communcaition tool in development
- Bill Tracking
- The New Hampshire legislature offers a bill searching http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bill_status/
- CQ Statetrack - advanced legislation tracking service
- Full bill text and details; Committee hearings calendar; Customizable reports; Automatic web publishing
- Temporarily: Secular.org>States>Your State>New Hampshire
- Conference Call dates, time, numbers; Call replays and Agendas; Sign up to receive alerts
- NH.secular.org subdomain
- Uses our template, but you will be able to update information
- Technical set-up work still needs to be done, hope to have in the next two weeks
- Use of our logo and name Secular Coalition for New Hampshire
- Email Address for Chair/Co-Chairst @secular.org
- Gmail Group Mailing List
- Facebook Page
- Secular Coaltiion for New Hampshire is up!
- Please "like," share, and update the page
- Conference Calls
- Future Resources
- Promotional resources- brochures, stickers, buttons, handouts
- Informational resources – Research, fact sheets and policy papers
- Trainings and Guides – media and lobby trainings and guides
- National Resources
- Powerpoints –available at secular.org/resources
- National Secular Calendar – secular.org homepage
- National Secular Update Weekly Conference Call
- Thursdays at Noon 559-726-1300 Code 199568
- What the Secular Coalition is doing until the next call:
- Getting resources in place
- Researching technologies to assist in chapter coordination
- Identifying leadership and putting Executive Committee interested individuals in contact with each other
- What you can do:
- Email Kelly@secular.org if interested in leadership or volunteering
- Sign up on our website to receive info and updates
- Check out New Hampshire’s state chapters page for updates
- Like the Facebook page
- Spread the word!
- Kelly Damerow
- Research and Advocacy Manager, Secular Coalition for America
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 202-299-1091 ext. 204