Secular Coalition for Missouri Monthly Conference Call
Secular Coalition for America - Missouri Chapter Conference Call
Call in number: 530-881-1400 Participant Code: 978895
Thursday, October 25 at 1pm CT
- Who is here and who is not here that needs to be?
- Agenda available at Missouri chapter page at secular.org
- Explanation of conference call style and recording
- No one is required to speak up, but there will be opportunities to do so.
- Thank you for joining us for the Secular Coalition for Missouri monthly conference call!
- The Secular Coalition for America is the only 501(c)(4) representing secular and nontheistic Americans.
- The Secular Coalition for America is working to make sure that we are heard on Capitol Hill. We fight in Washington DC against religious privileging on a federal level, yet some of the most egregious violations of separation of church and state are being promoted and passed at a state level.
- The Secular Coalition for America is forming state chapters across the country to bring together secular and nontheistic Americans in each state to lobby on secular issues.
State Government Update - November Elections
- U.S. Senate
- Claire McCaskill (D) running for re-election against challengers Todd Akin (R) and Jonathan Dine (L)
- Political reports suggest McCaskill will hold on to her seat
- U.S. House
- Missouri lost one seat after the 2010 census, dropping from 9 to 8
- All Missouri seats in the U.S. House are up for election
- 6 of the current 9 seats are held by the Republican Party
- Governor Jay Nixon (D) is running for re-election
- Political reports are predicting he will keep his position from challenger Dave Spence(R)
- State Senate
- 17 of the 34 seats are up for election
- Republican Party holds a 26-8 majority
- 8 of the 10 retiring incumbents are Republican, possible majority change, but unlikely
- State House of Representatives
- All 163 seats are up for election
- Republican Party holds an 105-57 majority
- 25 incumbents leaving office, 17 of which are republican, majority change unlikely
- Voices United Concerts by Americans United
- Wrap up report
- Patriot & Atheist: Kansas City Regional Atheist Meeting
- Wrap up report
- Springfield, November 9-11th
- Don't miss the Friday workshops by the Secular Coalition for America!
- Lobby training by Government Relations Manager Chris Lombardi
- Media training by Communications Manager Lauren Anderson Youngblood
- Any issues or events happening in Missouri?
Chapter Development Status
- Executive Committee
- No set number of members or roles
- Flexible to availability and strengths of individuals who want to get involved
- Examples of Helpful Skills: leadership skills, familiarity with local groups, monitor legislation, conduct lobbying visits, location near captial, mobilize grassroots, IT or website knowledge, social networking familiarity, comfortable speaking with press
- Interested individuals: Josh Bremler, Greg Swartz, Kellen Gracey, Carla Burris, Peter Gilster
- Anyone one else interested? Email Kelly@secular.org
- Volunteer List
- Those who do not wish to be on the Executive Committee, but still want to play an active role and help out once there is work to be done, please email me Kelly@secular.org.
- Executive Committee
- Resources Status
- MO.secular.org still under construction
- Temporarily: Secular.org>States>Your State>Missouri
- Conference Calls
- Initial organizing calls - Focus on setting up the structure, identifying leadership, spreading the word about the calls and building momentum
- After Official recognition - Educate and inform: track legislation, coordinate lobbying efforts and coordinate secular organizations.
- Agendas and Call replays available on the Missouri chapter page
- Looking into technologies to assist with online discussion
- Logo - viewable on Missouri chapter page and Facebook page
- Facebook Page – Secular Coalition for Missouri
- Future Resources
- Promotional resources- brochures, stickers, buttons, handouts
- Informational resources – Research, fact sheets and policy papers
- Trainings and Guides – media and lobby trainings and guides
- National Resources
- Powerpoints –available at secular.org/resources
- National Secular Calendar – secular.org homepage
- National Secular Update Weekly Conference Call - Thursdays at Noon 559-726-1300 Code 199568
- What the SCA is doing until the next call:
- Getting resources in place
- Researching technologies to assist in chapter coordination
- What you can do:
Next Conference Call Date and Time
- Cancelled due to Thanksgiving
- Kelly Damerow
- Research and Advocacy Manager, Secular Coalition for America
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 202-299-1091 ext. 204