Secular Coalition for Indiana Monthly Conference Call
Secular Coalition for America - Indiana Chapter Conference Call
Call in number: 530-881-1400 Participant Code: 978895
Monday, October 15th at 3pm ET
- Who is here and who is not here that needs to be?
- Agenda available at Indiana chapter page at secular.org
- Explanation of conference call style and recording
- No one is required to speak up, but there will be opportunities to do so.
- Thank you for joining us for the Secular Coalition for Indiana monthly conference call!
- The Secular Coalition for America is the only 501(c)(4) lobbying organization representing secular and nontheistic Americans.
- Based in Washington DC, we are working to make sure that you are heard on Capitol Hill, on the federal level, yet some of the most egregious violations of separation of church and state are being promoted and passed at a state level.
- The Secular Coalition for America is forming state chapters across the country to bring together secular and nontheistic Americans in each state to lobby on secular issues.
- Capital city is Indianapolis
- Governor Mitch Daniels
- Republican, first elected in 2004, term limited out of running for re-election
- Candidates: John Gregg and Vi Simpsons (D); Mike Pence and Sue Ellspermann (R); Ruperty Boneham (L)
- Latest polls show the Pence ticket ahead
- Indiana General Assembly
- In 2012, the General Assembly was in session from January 4 through March 14
- Indiana State Senate
- 50 senators serving 4 year terms
- Republican Party holds a 37-13 majority
- 25 seats up for election in November
- Indiana House of Representatives
- 100 representatives serving 2 year terms
- Republican Party holds a 60-40 majority
- All 100 seats up for election in November
- U.S. Senate
- The election will fill the seat currently held by Richard Lugar (R). First elected in 1976, Lugar ran for re-election in 2012, but lost to Richard Mourdock in the May 8 Republican primary
- Polls give Mourdock a slight lead over challenger Joe Donnelly (D)
- U.S. House of Representatives
- Indiana's 9 seats in the U.S. house are up for election in November
- Currently 6 are held by the Republican Party and 3 by the Democratic Party
- IN HB 1014- Would expand religious refusal laws for health care professionals.
IN SB 251- Would allow the governing body of a school corporation or the equivalent authority of a charter school to provide for the recitation of the Lord's Prayer at the beginning of each school day.
IN HB 1050- Would specify requirements for a health care sharing ministry and exempt the ministry from requirements.
- National issues sweeping the states
- Reframing discrimination as “religious freedom” or “religious liberty”
- Similar authorization of discrimination, this time by medical professionals with “Rights of Conscience” bills
- Any other issues we should know?
Chapter Model Overview
- A Secular Coalition for America state chapter is unlike any other nontheistic state organization—it brings together interested organization and individuals for the exclusive purpose of lobbying.
- Relationship to the Secular Coalition
- Chapters are part of the Secular Coalition
- Don’t need to file any tax documentation
- Covered under our C4 tax exemption
- Have C4 Lobbying privileges to educate and lobby on ballot initiatives, legislation, regulations, meet with policymakers, etc.
- Cannot “electioneer” – endorse or speak out against specific candidates
- Indiana Lobbying Rules:
- Lobbying means communicating by any means, or paying others to communicate by any means, with any legislative official with the purpose of influencing any legislative actions.
- Lobbyist receives or expends an aggregate of five hundred dollars ($500) in compensation or expenditures reportable under this article for lobbying, whether the compensation or expenditure is solely for lobbying or the lobbying is incident to that individual's regular employment. (Only register if compensated)
- Lobbying Registration Information:
- Cost: $50 non profit, employer must also register
- Online Link: http://www.in.gov/ilrc/2340.htm
- Chapters are part of the Secular Coalition
- Chapters are representatives of the Secular Coalition for America
- Same Mission- to increase the visibility of and respect for nontheistic viewpoints in the United States, and to protect and strengthen the secular character of our government as the best guarantee of freedom for all.
- Similar Purpose - accomplish its mission through cooperation between local groups and coordinated state lobbying activities.
- As lobbyists we must be the diplomats of the secular movement, always act respectfully and professional
- We believe secular values are American values, we are nonpartisan and want to work with everyone
- Fundraising challenges prevent chapter growth
- Secular Coalition will do all the fundraising and provide all resources the chapter needs
- Donations will go to the Secular Coalition for the benefit of the state chapters
- Official Chapter Recognition
- Once your state chapter is organized, the executive committee and a representative of the Secular Coalition will sign a memo of understanding officially recognizing the Secular Coalition for California and giving the group access to our resources.
- Leadership / Executive Committee
- No set number of members or roles
- Flexible to availability and strengths of individuals who want to get involved
- Examples of Helpful Skills: leadership skills, familiarity with local groups, monitor legislation, conduct lobbying visits, mobilize grassroots, IT or website knowledge, social networking familiarity, comfortable speaking with press
- Interested? Email Kelly@Secular.org
- Volunteer List
- Those who do not wish to be on the Executive Committee, but still want to play an active role and help out once there is work to be done, please email me Kelly@secular.org.
- Sign up to receive action alerts to be part of a grassroots campaign when particular issues arise. Sign up online here.
- Secular Coalition’s Support for the Chapters
- Conference Calls
- Initial organizing calls focus on setting up the structure, identifying leadership, discussing how the legislature in Indiana operates and the best ways to meet the needs of the Secular Coalition for Indiana
- Future monthly calls will become a way to educate and inform: track legislation, coordinate lobbying efforts and coordinate secular organizations.
- Agendas available online
- Call replays available online
- Bill Tracking
- The Indiana legislature offers a bill searching, http://www.in.gov/apps/lsa/session/billwatch/billinfo
- CQ Statetrack
- Full bill text and details
- Committee hearings calendar
- Customizable reports
- Automatic web publishing
- Temporarily: Secular.org>States>Your State>Indiana
- Conference Call dates, time, numbers
- Call replays and Agendas
- Sign up to receive alerts
- NH.secular.org subdomain
- Uses our template, but you will be able to update information
- Technical set-up work still needs to be done, hope to have up soon
- Use of our logo and name Secular Coalition for Indiana
- Email Address for Chair/Co-Chairst @secular.org
- Gmail Group Mailing List for leadership to discuss which issues they should address and to coordinate action
- Facebook Page
- Set up for each state
- Will add leadership as admin, can schedule events
- Conference Calls
- Future Resources
- Promotional resources- brochures, stickers, buttons, handouts
- Informational resources – Research, fact sheets and policy papers
- Trainings and Guides – media and lobby trainings and guides
- National Resources
- Powerpoints –available at secular.org/resources
- National Secular Calendar – secular.org homepage
- National Secular Update Weekly Conference Call
- Thursdays at Noon 559-726-1300 Code 199568
- What the Secular Coalition is doing until the next call:
- Getting resources in place
- Researching technologies to assist in chapter coordination
- Identifying leadership and putting Executive Committee interested individuals in contact with each other
- What you can do:
- Email Kelly@secular.org if interested in leadership or volunteering
- Sign up on our website to receive info and updates
- Check out Indiana’s state chapters page for updates
- Like the Facebook page
- Spread the word about the next conference call!
Next Conference Call Date and Time
- November 19th at 3pm ET
- Same call in number and code
- Kelly Damerow
- Research and Advocacy Manager, Secular Coalition for America
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 202-299-1091 ext. 204