Secular Coalition Seeks Chief of Staff
The Secular Coalition for America is looking to hire a Chief of Staff to work in our Washington, D.C. office. See below for job description and applications details.
Job Opening: Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff needed for the Secular Coalition for America, lobbying, outreach, and coalition organization based in Washington, DC. The mission of the Secular Coalition for America is to increase the visibility of and respect for nontheistic viewpoints in the United States, and to protect and strengthen the secular character of our government as the best guarantee of freedom for all. Nontheistic Americans include atheists, agnostics, humanists, and other freethinkers.
The Chief of Staff will provide the day-to-day management and supervision of the SCA staff required to leverage the leadership of the Executive Director and the Board of Directors. The Chief of Staff will have primary responsibility for ensuring that the SCA office is a results-focused, collaborative environment. With the addition of a Chief of Staff, the Secular Coalition for America will have six staff members, and like many small advocacy groups, everyone does their share of administrative tasks. The Chief of Staff reports to the Executive Director.
· Directly manages staff such that talented individuals want to and do build careers in the service of the mission of SCA. Promotes an environment consistent with a free and creative flow of ideas and meeting or exceeding expectations in each staff person’s job duties as well as the above goals.
· Oversees, under the supervision of the Executive Director, implementation of the SCA mission, the Secular Decade plan, the budget guidelines and other decisions of the Executive Director and Board of Directors with particular focus on short and mid-range plans and timing to serve yearly and multi-year goals.
· Analyzes and optimizes the operations and logistics of SCA (regular reporting, calendaring deadlines, deadline reminders, clear spreadsheets, realistic and ambitious projections, follow through on coordinated plans, data entry efficiency, ensuring Executive Director sign off on all public statements).
· Prepares the organizational budget under the supervision of the Executive Director and sends monthly budget reports to the Treasurer as well as updates as needed to the Board of Directors. Coordinates financial information with the Office Administrator and Accountant.
· Oversees office payroll and employee benefits.
· Updates the employee handbook as needed.
· Perform regularly scheduled staff evaluations in conjunction with the Executive Director.
· Assists the Executive Director in ensuring regular communication with the Board of Directors as a whole and with various Board subcommittees.
· Oversees and encourages creation of state Secular Coalition affiliates (i.e. 50 State plan) by coordinating with key local leaders and planning SCA grassroots trainings, and building turnout for such events.
· Analyzes and plans outreach to further new and potential communities that might be sympathetic to the secular message of SCA.
· Takes leadership in organizing biennial strategic summits focusing on policy change.
· Oversees events (e.g. speaking engagements of Executive Director) to ensure a sizable, diverse, energized audience for all SCA events.
· Ensures coordination of speaking engagements of Executive Director and others.
· Ensures that the organization is in full compliance with all applicable laws and best practices regarding financial and personnel policy.
· In close collaboration with other staff, and as needed, engages in lobbying, public relations, public speaking, development, coalition building, office management and any other tasks required for the SCA to succeed at its mission.
· Oversees a central database of critical documents (contracts, most recent budgets, most recent job descriptions etc. etc.) Each staff person will still be responsible for maintaining the appropriate records for their job responsibility, but the COS will ensure those documents are updated, easily accessed, and, when appropriate, networked for common viewing in their most recent version.
· Coordinates with Executive Director and Development Manager to help implement a strong fundraising strategy.
· Passionate commitment to increase the visibility of and respect for nontheistic viewpoints in the United States, and to protect and strengthen the secular character of our government as the best guarantee of freedom for all
· Minimum four years management and supervision experience and a demonstrated track record as an excellent manager with an ability to foster a rewarding culture of teamwork and accountability.
· Strong oral and written communications skills
· Capitol Hill experience (staff and/or lobbying)
· Direct and recent experience within nontheistic nonprofits and the nontheistic movement
· Excellent technology skills
· Experience fundraising for nonprofits
· Experience working with coalitions
· Salary commensurate with experience
· Excellent healthcare
Please submit resume, writing sample, three references, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit resumes on or before 5 p.m. Thursday, February 24, 2011.